Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Curation Tools


I definitely have a renewed outlook on all three of the main curation tools we've been looking at over the past two days. Here are my thoughts on each: 

Twitter  - This is at least the fourth education-themed tech class where Twitter has been a topic. I've had a Twitter account for several years now, but have never got into the practice of using it. One thing that I appreciated about this course that was absent from the others (or maybe I wasn't listening closely enough) was the emphasis on using Twitter as a search tool for information. Using hash tags to help isolate useful information gives meaning to a tool that I have primarily viewed as a social distraction. Will I use it more? I'm not sure, but at least now I feel that I have better reason to.

Diigo - While I've been aware of Diigo, I have been reluctant to use it in the past because I was already set-up and had a community established in a similar program called Delicious. I decided to give Diigo a shot because I had stopped using my Delicious account, and really never used it for more than a dumping site for cool-stuff that I'd like to share/explore more "someday", but never had. I hope that I have better luck in this new format. I have a lot of cool things in there - many of which I've certainly forgotten about at this point. I hope with the ease of access in Diigo, I'll be able to unearth some of those gems. 

Feedly - Again, this reminds me of my old iGoogle account which I haven't used in years. I was happy that Mike encouraged us to look at personal interests as well as professional. I've always tried to keep the two separate in the past and I wind up with too many things to manage, so I wind up not using any of it. Hopefully, having everything in one spot will not only be a more efficient use of my time, but I'll be more likely to access all this great info.

No comments:

Post a Comment